Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Big Changes: #1 and #2

Okay, so this a week old "news flash":

Big change #1 : quit my job

Funny how 99.9% of a job can be "right", "workable" and "exciting" but this last 0.1% made it untenable. Thus, I gave a two week notice; they accepted a 1 week notice and then let me go after 2 1/2 days later. Seems they weren't used to people giving notice.

Things I learned from the last year of employment:

  1. There isn't much I can't do: program, research, manage (after I start believing "I can do it".)

  2. Every 5 year old technology, using a 10 year old language, can have its uses.

  3. I still like people.

  4. A lack of desire to write out any assignments of significant complexity might speak to larger, looming difficulties.

  5. Maybe time for me to look at start my own business.


In November I will start job hunting again.


Big Change #2: two week trip to Europe/Bulgaria

I'm going to visit a friend I've know for seven years now that I am just getting to really know. I am looking forward to it. Plus, I'll be nice to get out of the fast food land and visit someplace where the history is centuries long and not likely to be replaced by a shopping mall or parking lot anytime soon.

If you haven't been to Europe, I recommend it. It's not just about culture or history. It's a reminder that "those people" are really still "we people", living someplace else. This idea seems so easily lost these days of campaigns of fear.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I applaud you for being brave enough to quit your job. Many people go on hating their job, but they do it anyway because they don’t know what else to do. About Europe, I completely agree with you. I lived in Italy for 6 months, and then traveled Europe by myself for 2 months. It was one of the greatest learning experiences for me. It was, perhaps, even better than any academic education that I have ever received.