Thursday, September 13, 2007

"OHHHhhhh..the weather outside is ...

While Texas does not, Bulgaria has all four seasons! I'm pretty excited to experience them. I've "sent for my cold weather clothes" (thanks to fear, doubt and ignorance, it cost me extra to have them postal mailed but I'll grumble about politics and fear another time.) I'm glad I thought to pre-pack that box before I left.

At the moment, Sofia is 15C (or 59F.) I call this kind of weather "free air conditioning" (from a Texas point of view.) Lili finds this humorous of course. Until this package of warmth arrives, I have long sleeve business shirts (which I don't wear) and a single, light and overly used pull-over fleece.

From the balcony at the flat, we can a nice view of most of the mountain. Over the weekend, between the cloud breaks over the peaks, glittering snow and ice twinkled in the afternoon sun. This morning the clouds scrapped lower on the peaks in the strong, cool breeze that started a few days ago. I've been told that a cold snap this early in the season usually means a long, cold winter.

I wonder if my boots are in that package...

While my foot is mostly healed and I can walk, the toe and arches still ache when I walk too long, too far or my foot gets too cold. At least one of the joints on the toe that I broke isn't "slim and pretty" like the other toes any more. I'll forgo freebie for a while longer.

Back at the flat, I hope the central heating is turned on soon. While I can deal with heating my bath water in a bucket, I don't really want to experience a Bulgarian winter without heat in the flat. The building company has assured Lili that the proper permits have be sent and we should have central heat and hot water in thirty days. "The hot water must flow!"

1 comment:

Julie H. said...

OoooOOOOOoooooo! I'll tell ya. I don't miss the Dresden winter..... There are about a billion things I miss about EU, but the cold ain't one of them.

Stay warm! And watch out for slippery ice!!

--Jules