Thursday, October 11, 2007

New Experiences and Old Experiences Returned

This week I had some new experiences
  1. got a spinal nerve block (2 I think- one per leg?)
  2. was a paraplegic (see #1, duration: 6 hours)
  3. toe surgery without noticeable pain or events
  4. heart rate at 46 to 50 beats during procedure (after all the shots were taken care of) - I got bored and found a reflective surface I could see some of the procedure
  5. toe bone re-broken, repositioned and two screws placed to keep it there
  6. 6 hours later, I could feel my legs and feet again and really, REALLY didn't want to feel the left foot at all! (Old Experience Returns from the beginning of August when I broke the toe and damaged other parts of my foot)
  7. spent all day in the hospital where most didn't speak English - no problems though
  8. slept between shooting pain events (med.s taking some of the edge off but not much)
    The pain invaded my sleep. Several times I kicked at the pain from my sleep only to be rudely awakened by more pain from the recently kicked foot!
  9. Got back to the flat, hopping around on one foot if I need to move and now pondering if a "laptop" is just a silly idea as my Dell XPS heats up "my good leg"

1 comment:

Julie H. said...

Nah, only one spinal required to numb both legs. You got the exact same thing I got (though probably in a lower spot) for my C-section. Really strange feeling, isn't it??

It's quite progressive for them to be giving you a spinal for this type of surgery. My brother is an anesthesiologist, and he was telling me recently that it's becoming popular to give spinals rather than a local for this kind of thing b/c they keep the patient numb longer, and aid in recovery.

I hope your foot heals very very quickly!!