Friday, July 15, 2005

Laid off - Time for more changes

Okay, so I got laid off this week.

I worked Monday until late. I worked Tuesday even later. Wednesday "they" laid me (and a few others) off. That's gratitude. Looking the people they laid off, I've got to wonder "What were they thinking?!"

Wednesday evening I choose not to go out drinking (in celebration of my forced freedom from my previous employer) and instead went to a sneak preview movie with friends ("The Island" - I enjoyed both the movie and spending time with my friends). On my way there, a recruiter called (twice) and set up a phone screening for Thursday. The phone screening went okay but did remind me of how my skill set has been centered around a nitch technology (and by nitch, I mean other nitch market players like Microsoft, IBM, Informatica. You get the point.)

I found out that often people don't actually READ resumes. In our brave new world of Googlers and Yahoo-ers, people have become more about checking for keywords than reading. No big deal - I'll just find the key words that describe what I know and dust off the other skills and demonstrate my ownership and ability to learn new things.

Anyway, I've update my resume, sent it to 50 people which in turn have forwarded on to several more people, etc. "Networking." I've filled up my white board at home, erased it, and filled it up again.

While waiting to get employed, I'm working on a plan to get employed.

No comments: